Thursday, January 9, 2020

Frosch…

No, this is not a spelling mistake; the little 1960 Frogeye spent 30 years in Germany hence Frosch (Frog in the language of the Grimm Brothers).

From its service history, my Frogeye/Bugeye was in Scotland before immigrating to West Germany in the late 80’s and returned to the motherland – the UK – in 2018.

In this 30 year period, the car was on and off the road and received various modifications including: 

  •      Hazard light kit
  •      Front disc brake conversion (using last 60’s Spridget parts)
  •     1500 midget front springs
  •      Rear telescopic shock absorbers
  •      Extra radiator fan
  •      Weber 45 Carburettor
  •      3-2-1 Exhaust manifold
  •      Electric fuel pump
  •      Black Mohair roof
  •      Black respray
  •      Chrome luggage rack
  •      Various chrome adds-on
  •      Triumph GT6 wheels

When the car came back to our shores, it ran too rich and could be hesitant. A fuel pressure regulator was missing and the Weber needed to be tuned properly. The previous owner decided to go back to basics: mechanical fuel pump, Twin SU HS2 carburetors, and standard exhaust manifold.


The following picture is a caption of the original internet ad and shows how the car was when I purchased it:


This very small car (about 1 foot smaller all around than the Elise) is full of charm and makes people smile when they see it 😍. As my daughter puts it: 
“it’s a Princess car” (not an Austin Princess thankfully).

Mid-December 2019, I gave it a quick heath inspection and went for a shakedown drive. With its 660kg powered by 948cc engine producing ~40bhp, this road runner should not get me into trouble with the Rozzers. This was a lot of fun, taking the corner barely touching the brake trying to keep the momentum.
And yes, I broke down during the first proper drive… 😅 The ignition cable under the dashboard got undone.

Since then, the wiring was fixed, the luggage rack and the front bumper were removed and I am slowly getting accounted with the car.
As I play around with it, I’m drafting a list of things that need to be serviced or modified to suit my preferences.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lockdown update!!!