Welcome to this new blog about my car journey.
As mentioned
elsewhere, I like sports cars and classic cars. Since my 20s, I have been involved with
Mazda MX5, Triumph Spitfire, Morgans, Lotus Elise, Caterham Seven and now a
British old-timer: a 60 years old Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite.
The most significant car was the Elise S1; I have
been this car custodial for 13 years, about 95000miles – many of them on track.
When I acquired the car in July 2006, it was mostly standard (118BHP and
118FtLbs); some lotus cosmetic “upgrades” had been added.
As many young single chaps without much responsibility, I
started to play with the car and one thing leading to another, I took it a
track and I got “intoxicated”. The virus got the best of me and I started to
modify the car and race it in local club series…
This is where people either
roll their eyes or produce a little smile knowing that I did the same stupid
things they did.
In 2019, my Elise produced 180bhp @ 7000rpm and 137 to 145
FtLbs between 3500 and 6500 rpm and weighed 735kg. The 0 to 60mph was rather quick and 100mph was effortlessly reachable.
While this Elise is technical simple (1990’s technology,
mechanical), repair and services can be laborious. For example, to change the
radiator, half of the bodywork has to come out. This is itself is not complex
but requires time and space. Adjusting the accessory belt involves taking off a wheel,
liner and then you can do the work through a minuscule aperture.
As the Elise had become a little too much of a track focus
car, I made the decision to go back to something I could enjoy more on public
roads hence the Frogeye.
In the following publications, I will discuss the specifications of this Frogeye as I bought it and I will explain how I want it to evolve.




No comments:
Post a Comment